This weekend, J got a pair of poison dart frogs!
The FIRST thing you need to know is, poison dart frogs raised in captivity are not poisonous. The toxin they excrete comes from insects in their diet in the wild. In captivity, they don’t eat those specific insects, and hence are not poisonous.
The upside is, they are cute and adorable and fun!
The downside is, they eat specially-bred flightless fruit flies. This in-and-of-itself would not be a problem. However, the flightless sort are cross-fertile with the flying sort, and we have a localized population of those in the tank of giant millipedes. So the odds of an explosion in the household fruit fly population are … unfortunately quite good.
We shall see!
Filed under: Uncategorized |